Sunday, January 25, 2009

It was all so cool

I remember being a kid and just getting an idea and running with it. There was no thought about what might get destroyed, who might get hurt, how much money was going to come out of the parents pockets. It was great! We had a blast digging monster holes in the wash, during monsoon season, with the rain coming down. We put fire crackers through the little windows of our hot wheels and pretended they were the Dukes of Hazard escaping Boss Hog. We shot BB guns in our bedrooms, and painted things right on the dining table. Life was good, material things were not long for this world so we used them fast and with gusto.
I mention this because I am an adult with children now. Things do not look the same. I am now the provider of that which is destroyed. I am looking out my kitchen window right now and I see the neighborhood kids standing on top of my neighbors van with a large pole trying to beat something off my neighbors house. I am thrilled that all this is going on at my neighbor's house. Today the Odyssey group was over at the house and decided they needed to paint cardboard boxes. I cringed and grudgingly gave them paint. Of course so much more than cardboard was painted and it made my skin crawl. All the kids just run willy-nilly trough the front yard scattering gravel and kicking up dust. It is pure chaos.
Why can I not go back. I don't want to see destruction just for destruction, but that is not the same as redesigning. I think I may have some real OCD issues that plague my brain, because; as I've said, I can remember being the same and really enjoying myself too. Maybe I'm just old. ("Get off my lawn.") I hope I can overcome and I really hope the kids stay over at the neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment