Sunday, February 8, 2009

Tacos and the Problem of Evil

I went to lunch the other day at Viva Burrito and ordered two tacos. The place was a little busy with a lot of cars in the drive through and only three people working: a cashier, a cook, and a shift supervisor who helped out by yelling at the other two. I noticed a boy playing on the sidewalk out front. He looked about 9 and was entertaining himself the way 9 year old boys, running in circles and making noises. I didn't think much of it and didn't wonder what he was doing there. As I waited a woman came in. She appeared rushed and frustrated, and she walked up to the counter and asked for her order to be canceled because she could not wait any longer and had to leave. There were some exchanges as they figured out her order (two tacos). It took them a minute but they gave her back her $2.00 and she left, herding the boy on the way out. I saw his face and he was crushed. They were his tacos. It was the only part to the order, it was just for him, and it was canceled. I saw him try not to cry without much success, and I heard mom saying she would get him something when they got there. I don't know what their situation was or how busy and important things were, I just know the boy was devastated and I felt for him.
I have seen that face before, while I can't remember exact situations I know I have seen that crushed, trying not to cry look on Xande's face. I also know that at those times I was the one rushed and frustrated, and therefore his look did not elicit the same reaction in me as this little boy because I had more pressing things than two tacos going on. In fact I've even been a little put out by the added stress of something as trivial as a taco being thrust upon me.
To make matters worse the woman and child had just gotten in their car and started to back out when the tacos were put on the counter ready to go (I didn't know it was them at first or I like to think I might have run out and given them to the kid). When I saw the cashier and supervisor discussing the fate of the tacos I became annoyed, no one bothered to find out where the tacos were in relation to being ready when the woman came in. On top of that they were discussing tossing the tacos out! Remember, my order was for two tacos also. I made a comment in their direction about my order and they decided to give me the tacos rather than make me wait. Of course I did feel a little guilty knowing I was dining on a child's crushed dream, but I overcame and was able to get them down.
So why the problem of evil? I happen to be listening to a lecture series by Peter Kreeft about religion and questions of faith and he happened to be discussing the problem of evil as an atheists strongest argument against God and how a believer might refute the claim. He just happened to come to one argument that makes the claim that what we perceive as dire evil in this world, as bad things happening to good people, are being seen from our finite perspective. When looked at from the perspective of eternity it is a different picture; like a small child dropping their ice cream cone, it is a great atrocity in their lives, a huge loss, something to weep over, but the parent sees it as a minor misfortune. Now this is not to say there isn't real evil, or that God doesn't feel deeply for us in our hurts, but it is one of many possible explanations for the problem of evil.
It was all very apropos to the taco scenario, and I have developed a new empathy. Hopefully I will remember it the next time I see the crushing blow on my own children's faces while I am rushed and frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment